Cruise the Keyes Race 2018 NICA SoCal

Going into the Keyesville race, I was really nervous. Last year it was very painful as I was still recovering from a crash  and I didn't felt prepared. I knew I was a stronger rider this year and I also had a call up so, I was trying to keep a positive attitude and my placement in the top ten.

My family and I drove up on Friday and had a good time in the evening. I wasn't too nervous but when I woke up on Saturday morning I was. Not only was it super cold, it was raining a ton! And for Southern Calfornia- that is a BIG deal. We aren't used to riding in the rain! Our high school team (the 3 of us that went) still wanted to pre ride before the middle school races to experience the course and wrap our heads around what we needed to do to be successful the next day. It started off super rainy and was tough in the mud but it wasn't bad. I felt okay throughout the whole high school course, knowing the conditions were going to be better on race day. When we got back on the 'end' of the course where it led onto the middle school course I felt good but then I crashed landing on the right side of my body. I kind of cried and then laughed about it and started again just wanting to finish the course. Then,  I crashed again- this time going straight over the handle bars. I was torn up and my back was killing me but I finished the course at a good speed.  I was riding with a teammate and he just looked at me like "what just happened?" 

My brother raced on Saturday afternoon and did great, placing in the top ten. I felt more confident after he raced but I was still nervous about racing after my crashes. I knew everything would work itself out and my goal was to try my best.

Sunday came and my nerves had definitely sky rocketed. I tried to keep myself focused and when we got to our teams tent I felt a lot better. I kept reminding myself that there was no need for so much pressure to do well. I'd do my best no matter what and that was what was important. I stretched before warming up, changed into my race kit, and got on the trainer. It was so cold that by the time I got to the start line, my body was freezing! As all of the girls took off I felt somewhat discouraged because I couldn't get my legs to push as hard as I wanted to. I lost distance with the top ten group and was just trying to warm-up my legs and go faster.

After going through the water crossing, the freezing temperature seemed to wake me up. I pushed hard and passed a few girls on the climb and didn't have many more problems. I decided to conserve my energy and keep behind a JV girl, who was very encouraging, and continued to push at the final part of the lap.

Going into my second lap, my body was definitely hurting from my crashes so I was more focused on finishing than working my way back up to the top ten. I passed a few girls on the major climb of the course and continued to push. After two pretty tough hills there was this amazing single track, one of my favorites of the whole course, but I ended up over the bars! (Really, again?) I was stuck in one of my clips, my bike on top of me and couldn't get out! I waited there for about two minutes, still attempting to get out, before another race came and could help me. When she went to go pickup my bike so I could flip around, another girl came down the hill fast and she had to jump out of the way, letting go of my bike, and dropping it on me! (I thought, "What is happening here?" LOL!) It was funny then as it is now. It seemed like everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I was full of adrenaline by this point and pushed very hard the rest of the course and caught up to one or two more racers.

Going through the last stretch to the finish line was tough, I was hurting all over, but I was happy and thankful I came out only a little banged up. I thanked God and the girl that was willing to help me and was overall happy with how I did. I went through so many challenges on the course and pushed myself on things I had never done before. Even though I was a little upset that I wasn't in the top ten, I was still happy I came out placing 14th after so much had happened.




Overall, it was a great race weekend and I had a great time with all of my friends and family.

Comments

  1. The weekend full of rain and mud was definitely an experience. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts