Lake Perris 2018 NICA SOCAL

 The first race of the season came up fast this year, but I felt more than prepared and stronger than ever. This was my second time ever racing at Lake Perris and my second season racing. I felt pumped going into this season, especially this first race, and planned on doing my best. I always feel that I do better if I write down my goals regarding my lifestyle and mountain biking so I made sure to do that at the beginning of the year. One of my goals was to get top ten at at-least one race this season- racing as a sophomore girl.

On Saturday during pre-ride, I felt very confident about my ride and got very comfortable with the downhill sections of the track, as well as the beach. I knew that if I wanted to stick with the top group, I had to push it hard at the beginning to make sure I got a good start on the climb and wouldn't have to worry too much about the sand because I got caught up with many racers last year. After pre-ride, I got to cheer on my little brother who raced in the middle school portion and was very excited when he pulled out with top ten! It made me a little nervous for race day, but I knew I was ready.

When Sunday came, I was super nervous. I really wanted to beat my top placing from last season (12th) but in the end, also know that I tried my best. I had made sure to get everything packed in my trustee Sun Bum bags the night before so I didn't forget anything on race day. When we got to the track, I felt a lot better but was still pretty nervous. I always wear my hair in braids when I ride and I can usually do it myself, but my mom had to do it because I was too nervous! I stretched for about 45 minutes and then changed for warm up. It felt good to ride, but was definitely cold that SoCal morning.

My coach rode me to the line up for staging and I could already feel the adrenaline pumping. One of my friends in my division didn't show for her call up and I was the next number so I was able to squeeze into the second row. It felt good knowing I was at the front and would be able to go straight up and not worry about too much traffic. When we rolled up to our starting spot for our roll out, I was finally able to get fully focused and in my zone. When the group took off, I was able to stay in the top ten on the way up the hill but could see the first 2 girls already pulling onto the dirt. I didn't want to waste too much energy from the start and I had already pushed so hard at the beginning to keep up with top ten, I decided to draft a few of the girls ahead of me to save energy and pull past on the hill climb. I was able to move past them on the dirt and catch my breath about halfway up, I got passed by a close friend in my group and decided to try to keep close to her and after she pulled away, I caught up to the girl in the placement ahead of me. I remembered to be careful on the sand and pulled past her going into the finish line of the first lap.

I had put a lot of my energy out on the first lap but I knew I was in the top ten and didn't want to drift back. I took it easy at the beginning but started pumping when I got to the climb on the road before the dirt. A girl from my group pulled up and we were able to push each other to the top. I got ahead of her when we got to the dirt and knew I had enough energy to give it my all on the climb. After many sessions at The W Training Facility, I knew that my legs would be able to handle the tough climb once more. I put a lot of space between my competitor and me, but I did feel how tough it was towards the top. On the single track down, I hardly used my brakes, I just wanted to finish and not let anyone pass me. I did get a little nauseous at the start of the single track down but knew if I continued to push that I'd be okay.

Throughout the race, many of me teammates had been cheering for me in different locations of the race so it was super exciting to have a ton of fun and pumped energy throughout the course, especially when I got to the beach for the second time. Many of the parents had come out to watch the finishers and I knew I was somewhere in the top ten so that made it a little more exciting. On my second loop section on the beach, I saw one of my competitors and decided to push super hard the rest of the way so she didn't catch up and I'd have a big time difference. Pulling into the finish line, I was pretty tired but still full of adrenaline- but I didn't know where I had placed!

 I had seen my parents when I crossed and rode over to them after. I found out that I had achieved one of my goals for this whole season at the first race, I got 9th place! I was so ecstatic that I sat down and cried. After so many hard hours in the gym and on the bike, I finally felt like it really had payed off. For my team, I was the highest placer of the high schoolers which was a huge accomplishment.

I was so proud of the rest of my team that weekend and all of the hard work everyone had put in. I am definitely looking forward to the next race.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts